Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 11-22-2017 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

Inspiron 3721 upgrade

Hi there folks. I truly love this 3721......but......I want to speed it up a bit. We're never happy are we? 

Specs now: Core i3 - 3227U. Ram is @ 4gigs. 64 bit W7 Home Premium. 500gig HDD.

I think maybe 8 gigs of Ram and a 512 gig Solid State Drive. How much RAM can this handle?

Thoughts???

P.S. Will a mini 1018 handle Win7 Home Premium with 2 gigs of Ram and a SSD?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Hi JJSooner1,

The Inspiron 3721 system has 2 SODIMM slots. The system accepts a memory capacity ranging from 2GB, 4GB, 6GB and 8GB. The memory type accepted is DDR3 1600 MHz only. The computer supports a maximum of 8GB.

Also, you can upgrade the hard drive to SSD which would make the system faster.

Dell Inspiron mini 1018 will be able to handle Windows 7 operating system but will be on slower side.

View solution in original post

Replies (9)

Hi JJSooner1,

The Inspiron 3721 system has 2 SODIMM slots. The system accepts a memory capacity ranging from 2GB, 4GB, 6GB and 8GB. The memory type accepted is DDR3 1600 MHz only. The computer supports a maximum of 8GB.

Also, you can upgrade the hard drive to SSD which would make the system faster.

Dell Inspiron mini 1018 will be able to handle Windows 7 operating system but will be on slower side.

3 Argentum

So can I get 2 4gig sticks of Ram from Dell? And the SSD from Dell?

Hi JJSooner1,

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes you can purchase the memory and SSD from Dell. Please let me know the region you are located so that I can check and provide you the information.

3 Argentum

Hi there Ravi and I apologize as well for the delayed response. I live in Oklahoma and Texas ( 2 residences). Can you please send me the Dell part #'s for a 256gb ssd and 2  4gb ram sticks? Thank you so much for your help!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi,

Crucial's site says that the maximum memory for Dell Inspiron 17 3721 is 16GB. However, I read in your answer that it's 8gb. Is it some kind of mistake on the part of Crucial or did you refer to the maximum ram in one slot?

Here's the upgrade page on Dell Inspiron 3721: http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-17-%283721%29

I have a 64 bit version of Windows 8.1. If possible, I would prefer to buy 16 GB RAM.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi,

Crucial's site says that the maximum memory for Dell Inspiron 17 3721 is 16GB. However, I read in your answer that it's 8gb. Is it some kind of mistake on the part of Crucial or did you refer to the maximum ram in one slot?

Here's the upgrade page on Dell Inspiron 3721: http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-17-%283721%29

I have a 64 bit version of Windows 8.1. If possible, I would prefer to buy 16 GB RAM.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

one thing that's even worse is that a Laptop that's about 2 years newer by a real brand doesnt support 16GB RAM while my medion desktop bought from the discounter feb2012 on sale (so it already was standing there a while) does 16 GB according to the specs and Medion is a specific discounter brand and according to Medions driver database where I found drivers from March 2011 this board has to have been made before that which honestly sets dell being even more pathetic.

3 Argentum

I'm going to suggest 16GB is the max, and not 8GB.

Also, has anyone done CPU upgrades on the Inspiron 3721? I would greatly like to get an i5 or i7 into it!

----------------------------

Proverbs 4:7 - Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom; Yea, with all thy getting get understanding.

10 Diamond

The only way to upgrade the CPU is to replace the system board (to which the CPU is hard soldered - it's not separately replaceable).

There are upgrade options - the one thing to note is that if you replace the board you have (which likely has integrated video) with one having hybrid video, you'll also need to replace the heatsink and possibly the power adapter (65W will power a UMA system but 90 or 130W will be required for hybrid video).

Board options:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor