
MARIO ALEMAN: Thank you, Duane. Hello, everyone. This is Mario. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. Welcome to the RZERC teleconference call on 11 December 2017, at 17:00 UTC.

On the call we have today Duane, Kim, Kaveh, and we also have Howard. We have apologies from Peter, Jim, and Brad. We didn't hear anything from Carlos Martinez yet.

On behalf of the staff, we have Steve Sheng and myself doing call management.

With this, Duane, over to you to begin the call. Thank you.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay, thank you very much, Mario. As I said, this may be a pretty light meeting, but let's get it done anyway. Mario, can you take us through the first item, which is review of the action items and then the minutes?

MARIO ALEMAN: Certainly. Thank you, Duane. For the action items actually from our previous meetings we have staff to publish the minutes, transcripts, and audio recording from 16 October and 29 October 2017, teleconference calls. The second one, Steve Sheng to remove ICANN staff from RZERC mailing list, David Olive, Glen de Saint Gery, Kathy Schnitt, and [inaudible]. The last one is Mario to share the Doodle poll with RZERC members to select the next RZERC teleconference call. [Being those

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

mentioned], all of these action items actually have been resolved. If you have any questions, please [actually] let me know. Thank you.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay, thanks, Mario. Did somebody recently join?

RUSS MUNDY: Yeah, it's Russ. I apologize. I was on earlier, but Adobe totally locked up on the machine and I had to reboot everything.

DUANE WESSELS: Thanks for persevering, Russ. Glad to have you. Okay, so the action items are reviewed and complete. Next, we're on to approving the minutes from the November meeting. Does anyone have any questions or concerns about the minutes? If not, perhaps someone would like to make a motion to approve.

KAVEH RANIBAR: I'm happy to move.

KIM DAVIES: I second it.

DUANE WESSELS: All right, thank you. Did you get those noted down, Mario?

MARIO ALEMAN: Yes, Kaveh and, if I am not wrong, Kim.

DUANE WESSELS: Yeah. Okay, thank you.

MARIO ALEMAN: All right, thank you.

DUANE WESSELS: All right, so next, let's move on to Item 4 on the agenda, which is a continuing discussion of the survey that we had done before. So as before, at this point I'll request that we go into our executive session and ask Mario to suspend the recording for now.

MARIO ALEMAN: Thank you, Duane. This meeting has been resumed.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay, thank you very much, Mario. So the next topic for the agenda is the statements of interest. I believe that we have a good number of statements of interest at this point. We have seven. There are just a couple of folks that still need to provide them. I think Mario and I will discuss the best way to make those available via the RZERC website, whether that's directly posted there or I know in the case of RSSAC they live on some sort of wiki. So that's another option as well.

I'm not sure what else there is to say about that other than we need to just get these last two folks to submit theirs, and then we can declare success on that. Any other comments from you, Mario, about the statements of interest?

MARIO ALEMAN:

Thank you, Duane. As you mentioned, we have almost completed actually all the statements of interest. We are basically keeping the same format for everyone of you. We're discussing right now how we integrate it into the main website or just add basically a wiki link as you mentioned before. I think we're just waiting from Peter who mentioned that actually he will be hearing from his job, and then we'll just be ready to go.

DUANE WESSELS:

Okay, great. Thank you. All right, next on the agenda is something that I think you've had a heads up on, and that is a discussion that we should have or a proposal to suspend the monthly regular meetings. In my opinion, RZERC has done a lot of work this year to get its procedures going and we've done our exercise with potential topics.

At this point, I'm not sure that there are reasons for us to continue meetings every month, that is until our services are requested. If something comes our way, then of course we can resume the meetings. But until then, I would propose that we stop the regular meetings and perhaps consider if we find, for example, that a number of us will be present at a face-to-face meeting in one of the ICANN meeting venues, then it would make sense to have a get together there. But otherwise, I

don't see a reason to continue the monthly meetings. Anyone like to express a different opinion or support or anything? Russ, go ahead.

RUSS MUNDY:

Thanks, Duane. I agree it's the right thing to do to suspend our monthly meetings, but I think I'm also in agreement with Peter's suggestion on the mail list – I think this was either yesterday or this morning – that it would be good to pick a time before the ICANN 61 meeting to at least have a short [inaudible] meeting or a short touch-base meeting to say if there's anything that we want to do or anything at the ICANN meeting.

I don't know that we got any feedback from the last ICANN meeting, but people might want to hear an update there. So that's what I would support is Peter's suggestion that we just try to touch base at least once before the meeting in Puerto Rico to just make sure and we could decide in a definitive manner what if anything we wanted to do there.

DUANE WESSELS:

Okay, Russ. Is there a reason you would prefer a telephone conference, touch-base, or just do that over the mailing list?

RUSS MUNDY:

I guess we could do it over the mailing list. Although, we sometimes get better attention from folks if we try to get people on a phone call, even if we just schedule it for 30 minutes.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay.

RUSS MUNDY: It's just an attention because we all get so much e-mail, it's easy to miss and overlook something or intend to respond and just not get to it. Where we schedule a meeting and get people on the phone, then we'll be more likely I think to get affirmative decisions one way or the other out of folks.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay, thank you. Kaveh, go ahead.

KAVEH RANIBAR: Thank you, Duane. I fully support your proposal, and I'm neutral to what Peter and Russ just said because if you're needed for anything including to present or to give answers or communicate during any ICANN meeting, then we should meet. But until an action is required from us, I don't think we even need to meet. So I would keep it to the mailing list and if there is an action required from RZERC including presenting, then we should meet. Otherwise, we don't need to meet.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay, thank you, Kaveh. Anyone else?

STEVE SHENG: Duane, I have a comment.

DUANE WESSELS: Hi, Steve. Go ahead.

STEVE SHENG: I think it's probably useful to at least meet face-to-face once a year, probably at an ICANN meeting, and have a public session at an ICANN meeting. Even though there is not much, at least update the community on a yearly basis. So that's my suggestion.

The other is a question we have. We have this list of 30 or 40 topics and we have lengthy discussions on almost each one of them. Are we going to try to document some of these discussions and then use it and archive it as an internal RZERC document, although not for public consumption? That's my question.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay, first on the meetings, yes, I agree that we should have a public meeting once a year. I would assume that the fall AGM meeting is generally the right place to do that. If not, please let me know.

Regarding the topics and whatnot that we've gone through, my intention and assumption was that this would just be an internal exercise just for us to get our brains thinking about some of the issues that might come our way, but not necessarily to be taken down as a formal document or shared outside this group really.

I think that any specific request that comes to RZERC is going to have more details than we had in our survey topics, and the specifics are

going to really drive the discussion at that point. So I'm not really sure that our responses to the survey are going to be particularly useful in specific requests that come to RZERC. But really my goal was just to get the juices flowing and get us thinking about some of these items.

STEVE SHENG: All right, just [to quickly follow up to that], yes, I agree. This should not be a public document. One thing I'm thinking is RZERC members have like appointment times. Some of these topics, some of the members will appointing organization will appoint new members. So this is part of an institutional history to capture for future discussions and needs. So that's just a suggestion for your consideration. Thanks.

DUANE WESSELS: Yeah, okay. Well let's you and I and Mario talk more about this I guess after the meeting and we can decide how to deal with that.

STEVE SHENG: Sure. Thanks.

DUANE WESSELS: Howard, go ahead.

HOWARD ELAND: Yeah, I was actually going to ask if there are any requirements from the original foundation of the RZERC committee [inaudible]. Did we have any meeting requirements that we need to meet? If not, I'm fine with

going to the list, save the fact that if there are new members or things need to come around, I think it's important for us to at least get on a phone call and have introductory notes and things like that.

DUANE WESSELS: Yeah, the requirement is one meeting per year. I believe that's not even a requirement for a public meeting. It's just one regular meeting.

[MARIO ALEMAN]: That's correct.

DUANE WESSELS: That's the minimum. Russ, go ahead.

RUSS MUNDY: Thanks, Duane. With respect to keeping track of having had the discussions and thoughts that people expressed on the activities, it seemed like perhaps it would be good if there were some record that was really indeed executive session record that was just available to RZERC members and supporting staff. Wherever or however that was going to be done, it seemed like a good thing to place there would be the notes and results [inaudible] earlier. So maybe that's something you and Mario and Steve can include in your discussion if it's a good idea to hang on to executive session information, which is kind of what I think the survey and discussion was. Thanks.

DUANE WESSELS:

Okay. Yeah, I like that. We can certainly do that. We've got the materials, and we'll make sure to archive them in a way that they're preserved and can be shared with future RZERC members. Thanks.

Okay, so I think on the proposal to suspend the meetings, I think for now we'll take that as agreed upon. But let's take to the list a quick discussion about: how do we resume? Do we want to schedule something, a phone call as was suggested, maybe a phone call before the next ICANN meeting in Puerto Rico or just rely on the mailing list? We'll have that discussion there and move forward that way.

I think that also then addresses the next item on the agenda, which was [selection] of the next teleconference call. I don't know, maybe that will be a Doodle poll or not. We'll see.

Managed to fill up the whole hour. Any other last minute comments before we go for adjournment? Okay, thank you, everyone, for participating today, and we'll see you on the mailing list.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]