Customer Discussions > One Day forum

Why is this more expensive than the paperback?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Jan 2011 21:31:01 GMT
T. K. Briggs says:
One Day
One Day

Why is the Kindle version more expensive than the paperback? How does that work?

Posted on 2 Jan 2011 22:48:56 GMT
Under the Dome
This too... I bought this paperback for £6.99 at my local supermarket and it's £4.99 here. The kindle version is £18.99!!

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 17:24:24 GMT
L. Daniel says:
publishers are allowed to set a price that amazon must sell at.

Posted on 16 Jan 2011 07:40:46 GMT
if you head over to the Kindle forum all your questions relating to higher prices will be answered. Its called the 'agency model' whereby a number of large publishers have joined forces to force all ebook sellers to sell their books at a certain price (which, of course is set by the publisher).

Posted on 16 Jan 2011 17:13:22 GMT
are the publishers market fixing by using this "agency model"?

Posted on 26 Jan 2011 13:29:47 GMT
Cantankerous says:
I thought such price fixing was illegal in the EU?

Posted on 26 Jan 2011 22:08:53 GMT
Leelee says:
I think it's pretty rubbish that they do this. I signed up for a site to be notified when the price comes down and I did get an email one morning that it had gone down to £2.83 but that was at 02.37 so by the time I read the email it was up in price again. grrr! I think I will just get it from the library to spite the evil publishers lol

Posted on 16 Feb 2011 12:42:38 GMT
Leelee - can you tell me what the site is that you mentioned . I'd like to know when e-books come down to sensible prices. Thanks

Posted on 16 Feb 2011 18:23:54 GMT
Emjay says:
I have thoroughly enjoyed my Kindle since I purchased it as an early Christmas gift to myself in early December. It has sparked an upturn in reading for me. However one disappointing aspect of the relationship is the pricing by Amazon. There is no production reason for a Kindle book to be more expensive than a paper version. It is therefore clearly a marketing decision taken by Amazon.

So I haven't and I will not pay more for a Kindle version. My advice to anyone is not to pay more for the Kindle version than the paper version. If most people follow that guideline Amazon will get the message and come up with sensible pricing policies.

Posted on 23 Feb 2011 09:23:28 GMT
R. Hill says:
Some publishers are setting unacceptable high prices for eBooks which, of course, should be cheaper than physical books, all things being equal. I find it really annoying and now select the Kindle books I buy very carefully. Amazon has started to indicate where the book price has been set by the publisher and I suggest where this is more than the paperback price then just don't buy it. Market forces will eventually encourage authors to migrate from publishers who stifle sales by overpricing eBook/Kindle editions.
The good news is that Amazon does do some fantastic prices for Kindle books where it has the freedom to do so - shop around and wait for the Kindle book you want to come down in price. This is the 21st century and publishers won't be able to control the eBook market pricing for long - the days of Net Book Pricing and anti-competitive pricing have gone!

Posted on 5 Mar 2011 22:12:41 GMT
Ian MacLean says:
I believe that eBook pricing is going to be investigated under the EU price fixing regulations.

Posted on 11 Mar 2011 12:41:44 GMT
kim freeman says:
[Deleted by the author on 11 Mar 2011 12:43:59 GMT]

Posted on 11 Mar 2011 12:48:24 GMT
kim freeman says:
It is disgusting that books for my kindle are more expensive than a hard copy.I too refuse to buy these overpriced kindle books.I want them on my kindle but more often than not end up buying the much cheaper version, that will sit on my book shelf after I have read it, much the same as in my days before my kindle.
Most of the books that are cheap or free are utter rubbish so that you never really get. Bargain!

Posted on 19 Mar 2011 17:29:38 GMT
joc1634 says:
customers should on mass refuse to purchase kindle versions even for just a week maybe even less, the publishers would soon get there act together and price fairly. this is a pricing cartel under any disguise. the 'angency model' the publishers use is self defeating as i certainly wont pay over the top for the kindle version, i just purchase it on paperback. i understand this defeats the purpose of having a kindle but its straight up exploitation. the publishers cannot see if they treat customers correctly and price the products in the right bracket they will sell twice as many books " simples ". you would think amazon are a big enough company to stand up to publishers as they are also missing out.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 16:49:40 GMT
J. Vallance says:
i have had a kindle for a few weeks now and have tried several of the free books.they have all been very good.such as library of gold and protector.maybe i have been lucky. i suggest you should try some

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 17:06:28 GMT
Cantankerous says:
@J. Vallance - I think the issue is that Amazon promote the Kindle as a viable alternative to buying traditional books and so imply that the service is as good or better than just buying paper formats. At the moment, some kindle books are more expensive than the paper equivalent.

You could argue that you are paying a price premium for rapid delivery and a slim format but most people expect electronic versions of current books to be cheaper rather than more expensive than paperbacks. The assumption being that it is cheaper to produce and deliver an ebook than produce and distribute a physical book (less fuel, property and staff costs). Also as Amazon are both the distributor and retailer, there should be less of a mark up on the publisher costs (which should also be lower).

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2011 00:04:28 GMT
I would disagree slightly, it's not really Amazon who sets these higher prices it's the publishers.When they can Amazon do sell less expensive books. However loads of sites on the web also offer free E-Books and there is always Calibre to format into "Kindle"

Posted on 8 Aug 2011 14:36:32 BDT
http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/pricewatch/

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2011 16:47:15 BDT
Thanks P M Mcshane. This looks pretty good though it would be easier to simply put in the book title! Oh well, can't have it all ways. I'm hoping that my watched titles will drop in price soon.

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 17:23:29 BDT
Cathi Maryon says:
I too will not pay for a Kindle edition that is priced higher than the paperback. I believe the publishers fear the electronic format AND at the same time think the cachet of owning a Kindle will make owners happy to pay more. Occasionally a pay-for book comes up that I want that is also appropriately priced, and I'll buy that. Otherwise I'm happy working through the classics at Project Gutenberg, and will wait for publishers to come to their senses.

Posted on 18 Aug 2011 07:09:33 BDT
Leelee says:
Ha! Last week I tried emailing the publisher asking them why this book is more expensive on Kindle than on Paperback...they have ignored me.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2011 17:34:36 BDT
Dr. I. Cox says:
Apart from the issues raised in the other replies , electronic books ( unlike paper or hardback) attract VAT at 20%
The price as of today ( 7th September) reflects just this difference ie £4.99 for Kindle version instead of £3.45 ( or thereabouts) for the paperback.. Prices also vary on a daily basis
What is NOT acceptable is if a Kindle price is more than 20% more than a paperback (IMHO)

Posted on 7 Sep 2011 17:48:20 BDT
Leelee says:
Dr I Cox - 20% of the paperback price on here of £3.79 takes it up to £4.54 so therefore they are still charging more than 20%. I know it's only pennies but if you add up the pennies of everyone who has bought it then it would be a lot of money.

I am now listening to it via audiobook after taking advantage of the free audible trial through amazon.

Posted on 17 Sep 2011 14:18:31 BDT
Tina & Sid says:
Edge

Priced at 9.99 for the Kindle I waited patiently for Jeffrey Deaver's book to come out in paperback expecting the price to fall. It hasn't so I bought the paperback copy at the supermarket where I bought two newly released paperback books for seven pounds. Although many kindle books I have bought have been very reasonably priced or free, new books are usually more expensive so for that reason I will be continuing to buy them at cheaper supermarket prices until they can compete competitively.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2011 17:10:07 BDT
kim freeman says:
My poor Kindle has been sat in the draw for ages as almost every book I want to read is by far cheaper in supermarkets. It's ridiculous.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion
Discussion in:  One Day forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  2 Jan 2011
Latest post:  8 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions

This discussion is about

One Day
One Day by David Nicholls (Hardcover - 11 Jun 2009)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (1,087)
Buy new: Used & New from: £27.86
3 used & new from £27.86